The key steps we identified were…
- The need to review the business processes; identifying and then eliminating areas of waste and activities which added no value to the customer.
- Examine the service desk operations from the customers’ perspective.
- Make the voice of customer present in all decisions.
- Reduce the turn-around time of service desk tickets: quicker, right first time.
- Switch the focus of service desk resources from responsive to proactive interventions
- To reduce downtime when incidents occur and maintain uptime for clients.
Transactional – we managed the day-to-day activities of the clients’ infrastructure, responding to issues as they arose and bringing about a speedy and successful resolution.
Transformational – we moved beyond the day-to-day activities to understand the voice of the client, developing technical strategies and creating value-added activities for clients.
To achieve both approaches, we adopted a combination of Lean principles, including:
- A process review to understand the backlog
- Lean Training
- A3 approach to problem solving
- Single Piece Flow